The Creation of Frank

This blog has been created to follow the progress of upgrading my 50s Reissue Fender Stratocaster. When I bought the guitar (used) for £280 it was completely stock. My aim was to spend around a further £400 to turn it into a Strat that could stand up against any out there....It's also proved to be a great learning exercise in guitar DIY. To see what happened and in what order, start at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Off With His Neck



It's been a while, and in my last blog post 9 months ago I wrote "...the only possible upgrade I can see in the future is maybe to replace the neck with a Warmoth compound radius model, but it would cost so much I don't think it would be worthwhile...".

With that in mind, say hello to Frank's new neck, from Warmoth. It has all the features I was after and remedies everything that I didn't quite get on with in the original 'vintage' neck.

The new neck features: 6150 stainless steel frets, a compound 10-16" radius, standard thin profile, vintage tint satin finish, 22 frets, new graphtech nut and some excellent flaming and birdseye maple. It cost £200 from Warmoth, then another £50 for import duty and tax, so £250 in all (which is much cheaper than the quotes I got from several UK builders). That pushes the total cost of Frank up to £876. Still, not bad given the quality of the guitar, and in my opinion infinitely better than a standard Fender USA Strat which would cost similar...

I didn't fit the neck myself, but I made a small truss rod tweak a couple of days after fitting and everything seems to be settled in place. I've played a few gigs already with the new neck and it's perfect. It has everything I was wanting, and has really elevated the overall feel of the guitar. I also think the lack of any logo on the headstock adds a certain mystique to the guitar ;-)

I'll admit now that I'm considering replacing the body with a Warmoth hollowbody model later in the year, so maybe the next post will be for that - after all, the body is now the only original part remaining from the guitar I bought off ebay 11 months ago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home