The Creation of Frank

This blog has been created to follow the progress of upgrading my 50s Reissue Fender Stratocaster. When I bought the guitar (used) for £280 it was completely stock. My aim was to spend around a further £400 to turn it into a Strat that could stand up against any out there....It's also proved to be a great learning exercise in guitar DIY. To see what happened and in what order, start at the bottom of the page.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Finished Article

Well, I've played everything I can think of over the past few days in an attempt to see how versatile the guitar is, and there's not much it doesn't like. The Apache pickups are the lowest output of all the Bare Knuckle range, yet they're more than capable of handling everything I could throw at it. With the Rivera's pre-amp cranked and the master volume up as loud as I can handle indoors, they can even cope with a scooped metal sound(!). Great stuff all-round, the clarity between strings is what really strikes me about these pickups - and the clean sounds (to me) totally define what a Strat should sound like. Anyway, enough about the pickups, suffice to say they were money very well spent.

The guitar as a whole plays and feels great. The combination of sperzel tuners, graphtech nut and saddles, five trem springs and a nearly-flush claw means the guitar stays in tune great, and has (compared to some Strats I've played) impressive sustain. Although the guitar has been in a playable state from day one, it now feels 'finished'. The only possible upgrade I can see in the future is maybe to replace the neck with a Warmoth compound radius model, but it would cost so much I don't think it would be worthwhile.

Has it replaced the Wolfgang as my main electric? Absolutely, and I'd never have thought I'd say that. It seems stupid to have an ex-collectors Wolfgang sat in the cupboard, but there's nothing it can do that this Strat can't. And having made all of the upgrades myself, I've got a great sense of 'ownership' about Frank....definitely a keeper. Here's a complete list of the upgrades I made:

Fender 50s Reissue Strat: £280
Graphtech nut: £5
Extra trem springs: £5
Schaller strap buttons: £5
Callaham trem block: £50
Parchment scratchplate: £6
Callaham aluminium shield: £18
Sperzel locking tuners: £53
Graphtech Ferraglide saddles: £39
Bare Knuckle Apache pickups: £165

Total Cost: £626

Obviously I'm biased, but that's pretty impressive. For a guitar that's had everything except the body and neck woods upgraded, and which sounds as good as Frank does, I'm pretty amazed it cost that little. I'd happily put it up against some of the 'relic' and custom shop Strats I've played (which easily cost three times that amount) and it'll be a close match for sustain, tuning stability, and above all tone.

So that's it....he's done. I'll post some sound clips as soon as I can. It's been great fun over the past two months, and I've learnt alot about guitar setup and maintenance.....Anyone want to buy a Peavey Wolfgang?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home