The Creation of Frank

This blog has been created to follow the progress of upgrading my 50s Reissue Fender Stratocaster. When I bought the guitar (used) for £280 it was completely stock. My aim was to spend around a further £400 to turn it into a Strat that could stand up against any out there....It's also proved to be a great learning exercise in guitar DIY. To see what happened and in what order, start at the bottom of the page.

Monday, April 03, 2006

The Shaving of the Nut

The first upgrade I made was to install a GraphTech nut, which cost £5. The graphite nut improves tuning stability and reduces string breakage due to the fact that it's self-lubricating, and therefore free from snags. Installation wasn't easy, and required several attempts at sanding the nut's sides and base before a snug fit was achieved. I won't comment too much on the nut I replaced, other than to say it broke into 3 pieces when I gave it a gentle tap to remove it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home