The Creation of Frank

This blog has been created to follow the progress of upgrading my 50s Reissue Fender Stratocaster. When I bought the guitar (used) for £280 it was completely stock. My aim was to spend around a further £400 to turn it into a Strat that could stand up against any out there....It's also proved to be a great learning exercise in guitar DIY. To see what happened and in what order, start at the bottom of the page.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Bare Knuckle Pickups

The final upgrade was to install a set of Bare Knuckle Pickups. I went with the Apache set, with vintage stagger and reverse-wound-reverse-polarity, in parchment white. They cost £165. Big thanks to my bro who helped me with the soldering, it wasn't as easy as I'd expected! A few days ago I phoned BKP and spoke to Tim who runs the company and winds each pickup by hand. Top service, excellent advice, and delivered to my door less than 24 hours after I'd ordered them.

Amazingly the installation worked first time. It took a while, but they all work and there's no crackling etc, so I'm guessing the job's done! I've only given them a quick try out through my Rivera, but initial impressions are that they sound great. Really good tone throughout, and noticable seperation between strings. Are they the best pickups in the world? I don't know, as I haven't tried all the others, but I will say I'm very impressed with these. I can see why they've got the reputation and rave reviews surrounding them.

So that's it, Frank's done. I'll post another entry in a few days when I've played some more and can make a reasonable evaluation....




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home